New car registrations in Romania increased by 66% in January: demand was driven by Dacia, Volkswagen and Skoda
New car registrations in Romania increased by 66.37% in January compared to January 2017, according to data published by DRPCIV. Demand was driven by Dacia, Volkswagen and Skoda models.
January has brought a consistent increase in new car registrations in the Romanian market, although second-hand cars remain the most sought after.
According to DRPCIV, 11,744 new cars were registered in January, with 66.37% more than in January 2017, accounting for 23% of the total. Thus, the remaining 77% was represented by second-hand cars sold in the first month.
Dacia remained a market leader in January, with 3,613 newly registered units (+ 67.35%), followed by Volkswagen with 1,080 units (+ 31.07%), Skoda – 905 units (+ 31.07%), Ford – 40.31%) and Renault with 724 units (+ 15.65%).
In terms of second-hand cars, the leader continued to be Volkswagen with 10,329 registered units (+ 378.4%), followed by Opel with 4.476 units (+ 351.66%), Ford with 3.749 units (+ 400.5%), Audi with 3,538 units (+ 352.4%) and BMW with 3,487 units (+ 330.5%).
New car registrations in Romania increased last year by 12.6% to 106,875 units. The peak year for new car registrations in Romania was 2007, with 312,589 registrations.